Solarize Johnson County Virtual Resource Packet
We’ve taken all the resources we go through during our Solar Power Hour and compiled them here so you can take a deeper look into some aspects of solar.
Solar 101 Resources
- Presentation Slides here.
- See if your home is good for solar by checking out Google Project Sunroof. This tool is good for a general analysis of your roof’s solar opportunity, but it is not reliable for cost estimates.
- Learn more about net metering from Energy Sage.
Solar in Iowa
- The state tax credit is 50% of the federal tax credit, up to $5,000 for residential (and up to $20,000 for businesses), available on a first come, first served basis. Visit DSIRE’s page on Iowa’s incentives and policies. *Note, as of now in 2020, the $5 million has been exhausted. You can submit your application for the tax credit and the Iowa Department of Revenue will review it and put you on the waitlist for receiving the credit in 2021.
- Learn how solar energy is exempt from state sales tax, and in Iowa, the market value added to a property by a solar energy system is exempt from the state’s property tax for 5 full assessment years.
Solar Incentives and Financing
- Learn about the 2020 26% Federal Tax Credit and find the necessary tax forms for your new system.
- Check out solar financing options from the Clean Energy Credit Union, or learn more from Energy Sage.